Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Removing Computers in Active Directory

We experinced a Windows 2003 server failure (two of the 3 drives on the RAID-5 failed at once).  The decision was made to move the server contents to a virtual sever.  The new server has the same name of the older server. 

Before I could name the new server, the old server needed to be removed from Active Directory.  I went into Active Directory, found the server in the appropriate folder, right clicked it and selected Delete. After clicking Delete I recieved the following error:

The object or some of the objects it contains cannot be deleted because access is denied Scope Agreement: To fix help removing the object (Member server) from active directory.

After clicking OK I recieved an error message stating Access Denied.

To correct the problem from the command prompt I opened ADSIEDIT.msc  on the Domain Controller. In ADSI Edit I browsed to the correct container folder and expanded the server I was trying to delete. Once expanded, I was able to see a folder under the computer name.  I right clicked on the folder and deleted it.  Once deleted I was able to delete the server.

I verified the server was removed from DNS and was able to successfully name my new server the same name as the one it replaced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - quite helpful and appreciated.

On a related note, thought you might like to know that at our organization we use a nifty FREE Microsoft-endorsed tool called Gold Finger for all our AD reporting needs. We first came across it on www.activedirsec.com and have been using it for 3 months now.

Gold Finger is developed by a Microsoft partner called Paramount Defenses, and has 300+ inbuilt Active Directory security reports covering 12 management categories, from account management to Trust management. Oh, and its backed by FREE US based technical support.

You can get (download) your own free copy from - http://www.paramountdefenses.com/goldfinger.php.

If you're into Active Directory, Gold Finger is a must have.

Thanks,
John